Thursday 10 October 2013

It's freezing outside, the very first day of really cold autumn but at least it's still sunny and shiny...

I am wondering whether you read the book of Pamela Druckerman "French Children Don't Throw Food". I just finished this book and hmm.. summarizing, bringing up children seems very easy. I have to tell you that until reading this book I didn't know that this was the French way for bringing up kids, I thought that it's all around the world..
 Anyway there is a simple recipe (from that book).

First of all:
- start from the very early beginning (not when your child is a teenager),
- don't say "no" too often but if you really have to, say it in a really strong, sure way,
- remember that your child can wait
- feed them like normal people, generally remember that they are normal people (usually)
- keep balance

Tadaa...all done!Yeees..I am not going to tell you what I think about this. I can only say that I am always full of admiration for parents, whose children go to sleep around 11pm or even later, for me it's like an exercise for physical and mental strength ... Also when I watched a few episodes of Supernanny, I always watched them with my mouth open. I just couldn't believe that it was real.

But now I am a big fan of Francoise Dolto, a  French pediatrician and psychoanalyst, which I didn't even know she existed until I read this book (such a shame!). For me her vision of bringing up is the essence of parenthood.

Anyway, if you find a bit of spare time, read this book - it's funny, true and can be helpful... And here is a recipe for Gateau au Yaourt (yogurt cake), which is the first cake that French children learn to bake as Pamela Druckerman tells us in her book.
 Whether true or not - why not give it a try?!



2 tubs plain yogurt (175g),
2 eggs
1-2 tubs sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tub vegetable oil
4 tubs plain flour
1,1/2tsp baking powder

Gently combine the yogurt,eggs,sugar,vanilla and oil. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. mix the dry ingredients with the wet one.Mix gently until the ingredients are combined, but don't over-mix.You can add fruits or chocolate chips. Bake for 35 minutes in 190C

"The cake is delicious served with tea and a dollop of creme fraiche."

Bon appetit!





Now I am planning to read another book of Pamela Druckerman, which is "Lust in Translation".
I am already scared.

Have a lovely, sunny and warm day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Being French, I can confirm that, Le Gateau au Yaourt, is the first cake I ate and baked and the only one my Mum ever made for us!!! It is very easy to make and has a nice taste. That said, your cakes are much nicer, prettier... and tricky to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds very interesting ... I think this will be one of the book which I have to read.
    I know this cake and it's really tasty with fruits
    have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete